About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Thank God I'm a Country Girl


Well, I got me a fine wife, I got me a fiddle. . . Sun's comin' up, I got cakes on the griddle. . . Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle. . . . Thank God I'm a country boy.
Here is a picture of my girls and their good friends visiting the chickens. . . peee-you.
It makes me smile that God makes us all so unique and different. Timm and I have discovered that we are wired in a way that makes us drawn to the city. The diversity, the energy, and the dense population of people is so intriguing to us.
And yet, I was raised as a country girl. And I absolutely LOVE it that my brother left for vacation and asked my Dad to babysit his chickens. Chickens that will be raised in his backyard and used for eggs and food. This is the same brother who heats his house with a corn burner, drives a pick up truck, and loves to pull his kids behind the four wheeler on a sled in the winter. Last year he built an amazing pole barn on his beautiful acreage where he lives, just west of nowhere and south of nothing.
But, he's not the only country folk in the family. As a matter of fact, I am the only one who doesn't have acreage and a pole barn.
My sister and her family are beginning to plan the summer crop with my Dad. They will work up the ground, plant the seed, fertilize and nurture the plants to keep the weeds at bay, and eventually harvest the crop. They will then load up the trunk of the car with sweet corn, park it on the side of the road with the trunk popped open, put up a sign and a cash box and trust the locals to enjoy the fruits of their labor at a reasonable cost. At the end of the harvest season, my sister and mom will be busy canning and freezing vegetables from the garden for their families to enjoy throughout the year. My nephew created a website of his own featuring the "cornmobile". Check it out here
There is nothing like being in the country. Hearing the breeze rustle the leaves on the trees. Hearing the crickets chirp at night. Smelling the fresh cut grass or the scent of pollen which topples off the corn stalks in the humid summer breezes. Feeling like you are completely connected with God's amazing creation of planet earth.
But, I have always wondered what was "wrong" with me because I did not have a desire for living in the country. I finally understand that it is not wrong, just different. Because, now I know that there is nothing like being in the city. Hearing the cacophony of voices in so many different languages, hearing the variety of music bellowing from sources unseen, seeing the virtual river of diverse people flowing together in what appears to be a choreographed pattern of movement, then looking closer to see each individual is intent on heading their own way. Seeing each individual is amazingly unique and beautiful and feeling like you are completely connected with God's amazing creation of humanity.
So, I do thank God I'm a country girl. And I thank God for my country family. And I thank God that he has revealed to me my passion for the city.

1 comment:

T$ said...

I can't wait to be part of that flow of God's creation of humanity with you in the city. I love you more than you will ever understand.