About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Wonder what I'd have thought?

So, I'm reading the gospel of John, and today I just stopped and thought "seriously, what would my reaction have been to Jesus if I was a Jewish person back then?" It's so easy to look at those pious, religious people and see right through their hypocrisy, right? They were so busy being "religious" and following all the laws, that they couldn't even recognize GOD in their presence. They had religion, but didn't know God.
But, if I'm honest, Jesus would have been very difficult to believe! Today, as I was reading John 6, and Jesus keeps referring to himself as the bread, so the Jews say "what?" And Jesus says "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life.....my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink, whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me and I in him."
Now, I get what he is saying, but, can you imagine? I'd be sitting there thinking, this guy is strange! He is talking about me eating his flesh and drinking his blood? I don't think so!
I could just see me squinting my eyes, looking at Jesus, then looking at others and saying "wha? That is just gross."
So, when I find it so easy to pass judgement on the pharisees and the "religious" people who didn't understand Jesus, I should get the plank out my eye first before pointing out the speck in theirs.
I believe the gospels are true, and I believe Jesus is the Son of God, and therefore I believe the truth that JEsus proclaimed. But, I have the whole story. The birth, the life, the death, the resurrection, the stories, and the holy spirit who was sent to be a helper for me to understand.
So, yes, some religious people of JEsus' day were too wrapped up in their religious practices to even realize that they had lost their relationship with God and didn't recognize him when they met him. BUT, if I sit here and think I am better than them, or that I would have reacted any differently, then I don't think I'd recognize Jesus either. I think to recognize and know Jesus, you need to have a humble heart. I can't be humble, and then sit and pass judgment on others. Doesn't work.
So, I wonder....what would I have thought?

No comments: