About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Born to be a freegan

A while back, I saw an Oprah show about "freegans" and I might have even posted about it. I found that I am not alone in my desire to find and use other peoples' discarded items. I find a thrill in the fact that I can use an item that might have otherwise been wasted or added to a landfill. And, I love to save money, so free things make me happy. You could try to determine if it is nature or nurture that led to this freegan tendency....good luck. I believe it is both. So it's a pretty strongly imbredded tendency.

I'd like to share a few of my recent "finds" since moving to my new neighborhood. Most recently, while walking with Grandma, we found some shoes for Timm



But, backing up...one day on the way home from school, the girls and I came across someone who was moving and getting rid of a few items. We picked up a little computer table and a decoration for the girls' room. Yes, that is a scene of the Brooklyn bridge and Manhattan skyline at night, fully lit up and accompanied by swooshing sounds of water from the river....how could someone part with such a treasure? (Note-the light can be turned off, and the volume turned down).




Last, but certainly not least, Alli and I have enjoyed many evening walks to get fresh air, check out the neighborhood, and chat. It just so happened that several times we came across treasures put out for trash. We found a great wooden box that we now use to hold the hats and scarfs. Also, we found a set of little stackable shelves. I use one in each bathroom to increase use of space under the sink. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. We did find some great clothes one day. Some fit Alli, and some pretty dresses we passed along to a petite friend of ours. Ahh, it's fun being a freegan


Oh, how could I forget my latest find? Timm wasn't thrilled with me grabbing this cart and excitedly pushing it home! He thought it should stay in the trash! But, he is not the one lugging grocieries by hand from the store several times a week. So, we comprimised. I will leave it outside. It is pretty much brand new! Price tags still on it! To be honest, there is one small problem with one of the font wheels...it's broken. But I used it already once and it worked just fine!











Oops...who needs two front wheels anyways? :)





Oh my gosh....one more...and I swear that's it for now....our neighbor moved out and LOOK what he gave us for FREE!!! What a great guy! We now have outdoor storage for helmets, scooters, skateboard, roller blades, etc. FREEEEEE.



OK, I lied, we have also found quite a few books....now I'm done :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing. My motto is "cheep is good, free is better". You have great stuff thrown away in your neighbor hood. I guess I will have to come walk your block soon. And I want to go to some type of free concert deal too.
Love you lots.

Anonymous said...

OHHHHH! Grandma'd be so proud! But seriosly that is realy cool, how bout when i come to visit we load our car with all the stuff we find? Oh, by the way this is Josiah.