About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Monday, September 14, 2009

wow, what a weekend!



Well, if we were living in Michigan this weekend, we would have had an incredibly BUSY and FUN time at the Richmond Good Old Days festival!

Instead, we are living in Brooklyn, and we had an incredibly BUSY and FUN time here!

Friday after school, the girls hunkered down to get their homework done. Alli has been getting a minimum of 2 hours homework each night. We aren't used to that! So, it is a challenge for her to finish it before dinner! THis week dance class starts, so it will be her challenge to complete it before dance class in the evening.

Anyways, they got it all done. THen , we hosted our first small group. Emphasis on the small :) It was just us and two of our friends. But, it was so so so great to have them, and I hope we continue to grow! We enjoyed pizza and bible study and chatting.
Saturday I went to a women's prayer breakfast and had a great time connecting with the amazing women God has placed in Communitas.

After that, I came home and prepared food for our "block party". It was great! The weather wasn't the best, but they didn't cancel it, so that was good. We had some of our neighbors and about 10 friends from church all hanging our for a bbq. The kids had an absolute BLAST taking over the street with their bikes, scooters, skateboards, sidewalk chalk, etc. Of course, Olivia and her new neighbor friend had to draw pictures with marker on paper and then try to sell them! It's her thing lately. Alli even had a friend come over who she met at school this week! That was great.

Alli discovered that out of the 17 students in her class, she is the only one who speaks English as her primary language in the home! She is the only one who has parents who were born in America. How interesting! I love Alli's adventurous spirit. She isn't the slightest bit intimidated by that. She thinks it is totally neat.

Anyways, after our sat night festivities, we awoke Sunday morning and loaded into the van to head to our very first visit to our new church location! PS40, an elementary school in Manhattan. We picked up some freinds and sound equipment on the way. We were there from about 9am-1pm. Timm was the master of sound! He was learning all there is to know about transforming the auditorium into a place of worship with a band and all that goes with that. ANd, what was I doing? What I do best, of course, PLAYING! I am going to attach a few photos of our "children's ministry" at Communitas. It consists at this time of my two girls and one other little sweetie pie. When I walked into the area that is available to us for our children to gather on SUndays, I had goosebumps. I was literally near tears. Praise God! We have an awesome gym, and an amazing courtyard that is going to be so fun on beautiful mornings like it was this Sunday! It was the absolute COOLEST thing on SUnday to look around and see who God brought together to form his church. Each person has a unique personality, skill set, passion area, spiritual gift, temperament, and style! And God uses EVERY SINGLE person to make up his body. And I can't wait to see who he brings in the future to add to his body. It is breath taking!!!!! We were PUMPED UP!

So, we came home for a little rest, then headed back to Manhattan in the afternoon for our "second sunday" party on the rooftop of our friend's building. Let me just say it was glorious weather, delicious food, and so many people enjoying time together. What a way to complete our crazy weekend! We stayed long enough to see the sunset behind the city landscape and watch the lights come on! Our favorite view! THen, home we came to get in bed to start the school week.

THis morning, I had "meet the PTA" meeting in the morning. YAY! I'm officially signed up for just about everything I can be signed up for at the girls' school now. ANd, I met some fantastic moms (and a couple of dads). I am so excited about serving in their school.

But, for today, what will I do with my time? Well, I've had an upset stomach (couldn't have anything to do with the massive amounts of potato chips I ingested the last two days, as well as donuts, dessert, etc, ugh!) But, I'm feeling a little bit better and may have the confidence to venture away from my home (and bathroom) for a bit. SO, what will I do? More shopping of course. Seriously, I have NEVER shopped so much in my entire life. Literally. Not in my entire life combined! But, it just seems that there is one little thing after another that we need. ANd, it takes time to get to the places. TOday, I am going to ride my bike. I won't get everything on my list, but I have a plan to get a few things.

One thing I need is one of those carts to push from the grocery store. I haven't been able to commit to one yet. But, my arms are pulling out of the hinges trying to carry bags from the grocery store. No need to give myself permanent ligament or joint damage! I just need to decide what kind I want...one more thing to shop for!! See what I mean? Ridiculous.

OK, enough. I will attach the pics of SUnday morning.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glory to God on High. I am thrilled you had a special weekend. I am hoping that homework time gets less, but maybe that is why they have shorter "in schoo" hours than other places. I bet she will get quicker and hopefully they will not continue with so much. But let her know DJ is got tons of homework this year too. And even Steven is bogged down~ no way!
Ok I guess if I wanted to write a letter I should have sent and email. But now I just keep typing. Love you!!!
TMP

Anonymous said...

Ok, just read my last comment post. I really need to read before I send. I have more than 3 type-os! Oh well if people can read text lingo you can decide what I meant by schoo