About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Friday, March 20, 2009

pondering poetry

I am not a poet. And, I really don't find myself drawn to reading poetry. However, I am absolutely in love with music lyrics that are melodious poetry. It is probably the art form I am most drawn to and most affected by. The words don't just touch my ears, but it awakens a part of my being that isn't easily identified. My soul? My spirit? I guess that's it.
And, I don't care what the genre of music is. I love when the lyrics are quirky, obscure, fun, thought provoking, and something that makes me ponder....
And speaking of pondering....one of the bands that I am thinking of is Poi Dog Pondering. I was listening to them on my ipod yesterday, and I could just enjoy their lyrics forever. And, although they are not a group that would be identified as a "christian" group (as a matter of fact, some of their lyrics clearly indicate otherwise) I get to experience God through their expression of art. Because I can find myself in utter worship of God while listening to that kind of poetry. Of course, their amazing collection of diverse sounds also adds to my experience (some instruments include: piano, organ, accordian, trumpet, flugehorn, 4 string violin, congas, bells, timbales, saxaphone, pruning sheers, brake drum, trombone......you get the point).
Here is sample of one song that I love to reflect on the image of God. It's called "Fall upon Me" But, Timm, isn't this the one we call "the curling iron song"? (inside joke)
Fall upon me in my quiet pain
Fall upon me, again and again
Across wide open fields
And grass down of green
I'm awake but my head is in the air
Wide awake, take me walking into the cold cold air.
Fall upon me like a hundred flowers
Fall upon me like the masseuse of hours
Give me the breath of life
From your loving chest.
Fall upon me in the pouring rain
Wet my lips again and again
Give me the grace of your finger tips
Fall upon me.
Ahh, thank you God for the gift of music and the amazing talent you have given to people to express things through song! Thank you for giving me that pleasure for my soul.
Here's another example. I don't care whether they wrote this to express love for a human or whatever....for me it contains a lot of what I would love to express to my creator.
Say that you'll be the one:

Say that you'll be The one
drowning in my heart, to be
drowning in your arms, (take me)
*3 summers heat, tangled up
in sheets (take me)

I'm as steady as a sea saw,
and as longing as the wind,
visions of you come so filling
I swoon -- so far
and distant and under the same
moon, all I ask is you to
Take Me
under the strength of your
words my heart is carried
by a hundred birds (Take me)

into death I do seep, into
The arms of your hearts
sleep (take me)

Breathing as you where,
Lying on The floor
Take Me
Take Me.

OK, that was fun. Now, back to life.
So, what kind of art experience brings you to a place of worship?

1 comment:

T$ said...

Curling iron indeed. My worship is seeing how beautiful you are and honoring Jesus in serving you before i serve myself. Much love to the best superstar in the land.