About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

choosing good?

I realize that Oswald Chambers is not God, and his book is not scripture. But, I believe he is inspired by God and has a lot of incredible wisdom and insight. Today, I read
"Many of us do not continue to grow spiritually because we prefer to choose on the basis of our own rights, instead of relying on God to make the choice for us"
Come on! How true is that? The past few weeks, I have spent too much time contemplating and weighing the decision of WHERE we are supposed to live when we move to NYC. It seems like a gargantuan choice that I should be pondering. However, when I really spend a lot of time thinking about it, it brings me uncertainty, doubt and fear. So, why don't I knock it off and remember that God did not call our family to move and be a part of this ministry only to leave us hanging when we get there, with no idea what neighborhood or apartment to live in?! I have to trust that He will continue to guide us each step of the way. All I need to do is abide in him and let him guide my steps. No worries, right?
Chambers goes on to say
"Whenever our RIGHT becomes our guiding factor for our lives, it dulls spiritual insight. The greatest enemy of the life of faith in God is not sin, but good choices which are not quite good enough."
Wow. Wow. Wow.
That's pretty bold. The greatest enemy is NOT SIN, but GOOD? Yikes.
But, I can totally see what he is saying. When I start to reduce my thoughts to considering things like the size and amenities of an apartment, the neighborhood school zone, the number of blocks to a subway , the commute time for Timm to work, etc etc etc.....I am simply letting my RIGHTS guide my thoughts. Because, I have the right to be comfortable in an apartment, and my kids have the right to attend a safe school, and Timm has the right to not spend too much time commuting.....right? Phooey. That is NOT for me to decide. I am surrendered and that is for my Lord to decide.
So, I will abide in Him daily. The one who PROMISES in Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".
If he promises me that, among so many other loving promises, then I know I can trust him to lead our family to a place where we can serve him and live a fruitful life, no matter what it may do to my "rights".
Ahh, sweet surrender.

2 comments:

K said...

what Chambers book are you reading? I am doing My Utmost for His Highest, which is a year long daily devotional and it is kicking me out of a comfort zone... great stuff!

Superstar said...

K - Yes that is the devotional I am reading also. It is so stinkin' challenging. John K is reading it too, as well as another friend of mine. It's neat to think of us all being challenged by similar thoughts daily.