About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Make new friends...but keep the old

Anyone sing this song in Girl Scouts growing up? "Make new friends, but keep the old....one is silver and the other's gold...."
Olivia was pounding that out on the keyboard the other day and singing the words so beautifully. And, I just love those words! THat is how I feel today.
Hopefully by this age, I should know what fuels me. What fills me up. What re-energizes me. And, I do. There are a few things. One thing I love is time spent with other women. Just time to GAB and connect. Last night we had our second neighborhood get together to play bunco. Someone else hosted this time. It was so refreshing! So fun to just relax and visit with some new friends. THere were 10 of us. Some had come to my place last month, some were new. But, all of us has our own story, and it is so fun to get to know each woman. It just so happens that all of us are Mommies, so we have that common bond right off the bat. And, we are all raising our kids in this urban environment, which is a little bit different than the suburbs. So, that is a topic for conversation. Anyways, it was just a great time. And, I am thankful to have met some wonderful new friends.
I was also able to spend some time last weekend with some girlfriends who are not so new anymore! They are my friends from Communitas. So, I've known some of them for a few years now, and some of them for just a few months. But, we had a ladies afternoon/evening. Walked around Central Park, ate dinner, then had coffee and visited at one person's apartment. It is actually a "40 and over" girls night out, but I weaseled my way in. And, I was so blessed by the conversations I shared with some women who are just a few steps ahead of me in their journey as wife/mom/child of God.
In other news.......it may seem like all I do is hang out with my girlfriends all the time, but I also had the chance to take my sweet baby girl out on a date this week as well. Liv and I went to the bookstore, then out to dinner where we enjoyed doing "mad libs" and visiting and laughing. What a fun time. Meanwhile, Timm took Alli out on a date for dinner, and a visit to a school. He will be taking her to three different schools this week. One is a charter school we wanted to check out, the other two are her top two picks of public middle schools in our district. They have her scheduled to come in for an interview/audition. So, it's really cool that Timm has been available to share that with her.
It is SO AWESOME to step back and really see how God created our two girls so uniquely, so special. The other day, I was tucking Olivia in and I had been feeling like her and I do not share the same kind of exchanges that Alli and I do. Alli has been pelting me with questions since she has been old enough to talk. She is always inquiring about life. She asks deep, penetrating questions about her faith, social issues, feelings, the human body, creation, EVERYTHING and anything. I never know what she's going to ask. But, we are forever having these deep conversations. So, I was explaining to Olivia that she can ask me ANYTHING she ever wants and we can talk things over. I told her that if she ever has anything on her mind, she should talk to me about it and I'd love to spend the time with her. I just left it open for her to respond. She just looked at me with her brow a bit creased, as if she was contemplating what she could possibly question me about, then she said "I can't really think of anything Mom." So, I just said "OK". Then I kissed her and was tucking her in, smiling at the fact that her sister would have taken that opportunity to dive into me with 18 different questions about life. Then, Liv looks at me and quietly says "well, I do have something that I've been wondering about mom." So, I look her in the eye, brace myself for her question and say "What is it hunny?" She says "Well, I just don't understand how......when we talk on the telephone to someone so far away, how does the sound travel so fast that we can hear each other right as we talk?? How can our voices possibly travel so fast like that?" As I briefly expressed to Olivia my fascination with the speed of sound and how it really is amazing and almost mysterious how it is possible....I openly SMILED at how different my two girls are! That was the only question that came to Olivia. I love it!

2 comments:

T$ said...

You're closer to 40 than any other decade age, so you might as well be in the club!

Living My Backward's Life (formerly A Michigander Grows in Brooklyn) said...

I wanted to tell you that I love that old girl scout song! My mom sang it to us a lot.