About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Monday, July 28, 2008

God's purpose

So, I crack open a brand new journal this morning, and ponder the fact that this is the third journal in the last year. So much has gone on between God and I! Then, I flip open a devotional 'My utmost for his highest" and begin to read the thoughts for today. Wow. Blown away. It is so incredibly moving to me, that I am actually going to include the entire thing here today. I must!

It's entitled "GOD'S PURPOSE OR MINE?"

"He made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side. . . " Mark 6:45

"We tend to think that if Jesus Christ compels us to do something and we are obedient to Him, He will lead us to great success. We should never have the thought that our dreams of success are God's purpose for us. In fact, His purpose may be exactly the opposite. We have the idea that God is leading us toward a particular end or a desired goal, but He is not. The question of whether or not we ARRIVE at a particular goad is of little importance, and reaching it becomes merely an episode along the way. What we see as only the process of reaching a particular end, God sees as the goal itself!"

"What is my vision of God's purpose for me? Whatever it may be, His purpose is for me to depend on Him and on His power NOW. If I can stay calm, faithful, and unconfused while in the middle of the turmoil of life, the goal of the purpose of God is being accomplished in me. God is not working toward a particular finish - His purpose is the process itself. What He desires for me is that I see "Him walking on the sea" with no shore, no success, nor goal in sight, but simply having the absolute certainty that everything is all right because I see "Him walking on the sea (6:49). It is the process, not the outcome, that is glorifying to God."

"God's training is NOW, not later. His purpose is for this very minute, not for something in the future. We have nothing to do with what will follow our obedience, and we are wrong to concern ourselves with it. What people call preparation, God sees as the goal itself."

"God's purpose is to enable me to see that He can walk on the storms of my life right now. If we have a further goal in Mind, we are not paying enough attention to the present time. However, if we realize that moment-by-moment obedience is the goal, then each moment as it comes is precious."

Ok, so it has been a year since Timm and I have felt stirred towards pursuing the call to plant a church in NY. In our estimation, we would have been there by now, or at least in the process of moving. We are not. We are here. So, I could conclude that we have failed because we did not meet the goal we thought God set before us! But, instead, I am fine. Because when I reflect on the past year, I am literally BLOWN AWAY. God has done incredible things in our lives. I wouldn't trade a THING.

My faith is stronger than ever, my relationship with Christ more real than ever. My husband is a transformed man of God. My kids were baptized. We've shared our faith with more people than ever before. God has released strongholds of sin in my life and Timm's (I won't go into detail here). My prayer life is completely new and powerful, we have made incredible friends, we made God the Lord over EVERY area of our lives, we have shifted priorities. We have recently decided to home school the girls. I am enjoying an incredible summer with new appreciation for our home and our families. God is in this process! Wherever He takes us is fine with me! We put God in the driver's seat, and we are along for the ride. Honestly, I couldnt' be happier. Our lives are in His perfectly capable hands, and I am at PEACE.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blown away is a great expression. Like is says He will blow away the chafe and what is left if pure. You are seeing things though "new" eyes with a renewed mind. How wonderful to be calm in the storm and not jump ship but perserver in the knowledge that Jesus is in the boat with you. Blown away--but not off course. Pickel Head

T$ said...

Thanks for posting that so that I could access it from here. It is my honor and extreme pleasure to be on this journey with you, and to be able to hold your hand and kiss your face along the way.

T$ said...

Craig also read this, and he wants you to post the whole thing on the communitas blog so that people can hear that from you, which I also think would be a GREAT thing to do, so hey..............DO IT!

K said...

what a great reminder that it's not some far off point we are reaching for, but it's right here right now, every moment...

Sonyia said...

I did read your post earlier today and it made me go back and read mine! I wrote a few of my posts for this week last week (scheduled them to go up after I had written them. He sure is funny about hitting us over the head with things! Will we ever learn : )

Morgan's Mom said...

Thank You for the reassurance, I am always pressured by the outcome rather than the journey.
What a great reminder that the trip is not at our cost because Jesus has already paid our way, it is up to us to enjoy the ride!!
I am so glad to have found friends that have so much faith, for without you I would have surely lost my way.

Anonymous said...

Hey Char. This was a perfect post for me. Bill is in Africa right now sitting waiting to go to their destination because they are waiting on their luggage which has their food and supplies. He has been traveling since Saturday and not yet able to leave for the orphanage. Kensington group is also in holding. Anyway, The whole thing has been a journey for me also. I have felt so many emotions this last 5 days and have been focusing in on Philippians 4:4-9. I am trying to focus on putting my trust and relying on God, enjoying my family being in town and all the blessings I have in family and friends and that my husband would go on this trip to Africa is just awesome in itselt. So I agree it in the journey for everyone involved that changes hearts also. I may need to re-read your post sometimes during the next week and a half so thanks for posting. Also, Owen and Jack are being Baptized on the 10th of August. God is Good!!! Kim