About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Gracious Uncertainty

This might be kinda long, but I just had to share from my devotional today. Oswald Chambers challenges me every single day in "My Utmost for His Highest". Today, he references 1John 3:2 "...it has not yet been revealed what we shall be..."

He goes on to say:

"Our natural inclination is to be so precise - trying always to forecast accurately what will happen next - that we look upon uncertainty as a bad thing. We think that we must reach some predetermined goal, but that is not the nature of the spiritual life. THE NATURE OF THE SPIRITUAL LIFE IS THAT WE ARE CERTAIN IN OUR UNCERTAINTY. Consequently, we do not put down roots......

Certainty is the mark of the commonsense life - gracious uncertainty is the mark of the spiritual life. To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, not knowing what tomorrow may bring. This is generally expressed with a sigh of sadness, but it should be an expression of breathless expectation! We are uncertain of the next step, but certain of God. As soon as we abandon ourselves to God and do the task He has placed closest to us, He begins to fill our lives with surprises.........

We are not uncertain of God, just uncertain of what He is going to do next.

If our certainty is only in our beliefs, we develop a sense of self-righteousness, becoming overly critical, and are limited to the view that our beliefs are complete and settled.

But when we have the right relationship with God, life is full of spontaneous, joyful uncertainty and expectancy.

Jesus said "Believe also in me" (John 14:1) he did not say "Believe certain things about Me"

Leave everything to Him and it will be gloriously and graciously uncertain how He will come in, but you can remain certain that He WILL COME."

Well, I'm sure I have had conversations with most of you about this very topic! And, I will admit that sometimes I talk about it with that "sigh of sadness". THe fact that I have learned that God does not want me to plan too far ahead and continues to teach me to live in that gracious uncertainty. This has probably been the SINGLE most intense area of spiritual growth in me. I can relate to looking at uncertainty as a bad thing! I always assumed that a responsible adult should have things planned out and should have roots and should have a very clear set of goals and objectives to reach. Well, of course we should have goals. But, I now know for sure that God does not want me too focused on those plans and goals of mine. He wants me surrendered. And, I know I can trust Him to COME into my plans as long as I am surrendered. And, I know His plans are for my good.

To refer (again) to an example used at Communitas, I would have chosen to live out a "boring documentary" and instead, being surrendered to God, He has me living out an "action adventure". Don't get me wrong, I love documentaries! But, when I am at heaven's gate, do I want to reflect back on my life on this earth and say "I am so glad I played it safe and always had a plan" or do I want to look back and say "WOW! What a wild ride that was. I never saw all those twists and turns coming. What an adventure God took me on!"


No comments: