About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Asking better questions

Since someone encouraged me to write more, here is my journal entry from Feb 8, 2019

Reading Acts 12. 
I read some of this and I'm not sure I believe it is actual historical truth. 
So, again, I ask better questions. 
I don't necessarily need to know if the account of Peter escaping from prison is accurate, do I? What I really want to know is, why was this story recorded? What can I learn from it?  What do you want me to know?
Some things that jump out at me - Herod had James put to death and "because this pleased the Jews, he proceeded to seize Peter also."
How disgusting that an execution pleased the Jews.  I'm not categorizing an entire religion or race - but rather seeing how easy it is to gravitate to an us/them mindset and to actually celebrate death because it's one of "them".
How is it that we're capable of that?
Do I do that?
Is there ever a "them" that I see suffer or die and I celebrate?
Either openly, or secretly?
What if I take it down a notch and just make it a bit more relatable.  Do I ever celebrate because someone gets punished?  Fails at something? Get's what is "coming to them"?
That's me wanting judgement on others and it's exactly what God warns us not to do.  He knows we will be tempted to judge.  In the creation story - He says not to eat from the tree of "the knowledge of good and evil".  But we crave that fruit.  We want to be the judge of good and evil.  We want to create an us/them where we are good but "they" are not.  That's why God commanded us to stay away!
As startling as it is for me to read the account where James is put to death "by a sword" and it pleased people - it reveals something in me.
The last thing in this chapter that jumps out at me is "immediately, because Herod did not give praise to God, an angel of the Lord struck him down, and he was eaten by worms and died."
REALLY?
And that's it?  Nothing else is said about this insanity?
Did this really happen? And does God send angels to strike people down?  And why the graphic and disgusting details about being eaten by worms? What in the world?!
Knowing that Jesus is the full revelation of God, and knowing the character of Jesus, this doesn't seem to line up with God's character to me. 
So, is it more of a warning that if we continually elevate ourselves above God - even leading others to deny and mock God - the consequences are not good? 
Is it a compare and contrast story?  Peter humbles himself to the will of God, even in prison where he is held captive for no reason.  But things go well for him because he remains humble to the power of God.  Whereas, Herod mocks God and things don't go well for him at all.  Maybe that is the message I should take away?
Although, it's not like Peter has smooth sailing and a life of luxury without suffering because of his dedication to God.  Nope.  He ends up crucified.
But, even in his execution, he honors God.  It's believed that he requests to be crucified upside down since he wouldn't feel worthy of the same death as Jesus.
That's an honorable death, where he willingly submits to it.  Not like being "struck down and eaten by worms".

I don't know for sure.  But I like asking better questions.



No comments: