About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Judas Iscariot and the American dream

Today I was reading in Matthew 26 about Judas betraying Jesus.
We all know the story.
He sells Jesus out for 30 pieces of silver.
It's so easy to sit here and judge him in disgust wondering how he could be sitting at a table with GOD in the flesh, as one of the chosen 12 who got to spend the most time with him, yet he dreams up a way to use it to get what he really wants!
He decides money is more valuable than the relationship he has with Jesus!
What?  How can he be so evil, so selfish, so foolish?
Wait.
Don't we all do that?
YES!
It's easy to point the finger at the lowlife Judas who is clearly a foolish, selfish, money hungry idiot.
But I would argue that I do not know one single person who couldn't be or hasn't been lured into the same trap.
We are buried so deep in this trap here in America that we can't even see the light of day to even know we are buried in it!
We have decided that we are "blessed" by stuff.  Many in the church in America have considered us "favored" by God as a nation.  How so? We are powerful and wealthy.
Really?
I never recall Jesus saying "Come, follow me and I will give you the American dream complete with a cozy home and a secure future including retirement."
That's all Judas wanted.
Think about it.  Those disciples gave up literally EVERYTHING to follow Jesus.  Their families, livelihoods, homes.  Everything.  And here Jesus is telling them that he's about to be slaughtered.
So, Judas probably figures it's gonna happen anyways - and he's going to be left with NOTHING!  Why not simply speed things up and get a little something to start over with?
He has nothing.
We cannot comprehend that.  We, as Americans, love to invite Jesus into our lives to "bless" us.  It's unthinkable that we would be homeless, without work, without family, without a known future, and we would be able to kick back and simply enjoy being in the presence of Jesus - trusting that He will guide.
But that's what we expect Judas to do.
We expect Jesus to be enough for him when we know dang well he's not enough for us.
So, today as I read about Judas, I still think he is a total fool and am disgusted by his betrayal.  But today, I'm able to see that I am that same fool.
Jesus offers me everything.  Yet, I continually pursue my own desires and just want to add him in where he conveniently fits.
I'm so deeply buried in this trap of consumerism, comfort, security, and entitlement that I even boast to Jesus when I occasionally manage to trust him or to act generously or selflessly.
As if I'm impressing him.
Ludicrous.

No comments: