About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I think, therefore I am...

Ha, remember philosophy class Kel? I swear our professor wanted to jump out the window when he saw me coming!
It must have been a decent class, in the fact that I remember a lot of it, and I can't say that about many classes. I even remember that this was a quote from Renee Descartes (sp?).
Anyways, I was thinking about this today.
I think....therefore...I am.
Am what?
A bunch of random molecules bumping together to form random scientific reactions?
Am what?
An animal that has basic instincts and needs for survival?
Am what?
Alive?
I would add to this. I would say, I think...therefore...I am more than just physical. I am spiritual. I have the ability to think and reason and use logic. I have the desire to find purpose and truth. I have a desire to see good, a desire for justice, a desire for love and for feeling accepted.
If you would like to argue that we are simply physical material, with no creator, no purpose, and no soul...why would you even care about arguing? What would put the desire in you to even seek truth, or pursue understanding or use reason. And, how could you use reason or logic if you are simply physical material?
This is why I would also say, I think....therefore...I have faith. Some people may hold the opinion that having faith is the absence of thinking things through. Wrong. It is the opposite. It is because of my thinking and pondering and seeking and wrestling and doubting and fearing and wondering and pressing into tough questions and contemplating deep truths that I have come to faith. All of this thinking leads me to a faith in the God of the bible. But, it is not a "blind faith" that I just accept "because". No, I have explored many answers and have found this one makes the most sense to me. If others ask the same questions and come to a different answer that they feel fits, they place their faith in that. Either way it is faith. It is not proven. It is faith. I think it is an especially difficult leap of faith to put your faith in the belief that there is not a creator. Wow, that leaves a lot of unanswered questions to me. Like I mentioned, that doesn't explain to me why we have a desire for truth, justice, logic, reason, love, etc. Are there mysteries within my faith? Heck yeah! That can be frustrating, but I question anyone who has come to a faith that contains no mystery.. no questions...no issues that can't be easily explained. Are there parts of the "christian story" that are far fetched? Hard to believe? Confusing? You bet! But, did I really think I was going to seek the meaning and purpose of life and find something that holds no mystery? Something that is a no-brainer? Something simple? Something I could have come up with myself? Really? I hope that the God I am seeking has something better going on than that which I could have come up with on my own, or that I could easily understand. I hope my God is way bigger than my brain and my reasoning.
I think, therefore, I am....putting my faith in Christianity.

1 comment:

K said...

I remember your confused... WHAT???s I remember trying to make sense of what we were learning. But like you said, it must have gotten in there because once in a while I go back to what we discussed.

Char is smart.
Char lives in Brooklyn.
Smart people live in Brooklyn.

True or false? Or something like that.