About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Aunt KT

I want to wish a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister (in-law) Katie. I've known Katie for almost 20 years now. And I can't imagine our lives without her.
We have always gotten along. From the first time we met and she immediately felt comfortable making fun of me and my ludicrous behavior, to the adventure of white water rafting together while Timm was away in Ecuador. Again, she was offered the opportunity to make fun of me. This time for my short temper and intense annoyance with getting splashed.
Although we always got along, and it was cool to gain a sister in my 20's, I really had no idea what a blessing she would be in my life until she became "Aunt KT"
She was at the hospital the day Alli was born. The love I saw on her face as she held our little baby, her niece, brings tears to my eyes right now as I reflect on it. The day after I got home from the hospital, she cam over. She held and loved Alli all day! She basically just told me that I'd have to let her know when I wanted the baby for myself or wanted her not to be held. Otherwise, she wasn't letting go! I was blown away by the absolute love and adoration she had for our baby.
From that day on, with Alli, and when Olivia came along, she became "Aunt KT". I realized pretty quickly that I sucked as an aunt in comparison. And she has never done anything for them for any other reason than to demonstrate her deep love for them.
I have been so grateful for her example to my girls. The example of generosity. Does she spoil them? Yep. You betcha. But, she just does it because she loves to see the joy it brings them. And, they appreciate it so much. All the things she does for them brings them such joy.
Truth be told, I imagine that KT learned the whole spoiling thing from her Mom. Katie will be the first to admit that her mom spoiled her. And, Katie has always appreciated it.
And, Grandma was the number one example of generosity to my kids. And now, I am so thrilled that they see the legacy Grandma left when they see how Aunt KT demonstrates that same generosity.
If her role as aunt wasn't impressive enough, then her role as a MOM has been! Her little Izzy is so lucky. Katie has been an amazing Mom since day one! And she does it on her own. The love I see between her and her baby girl is so sweet. And, I think it is so cool. Katie admits she was spoiled, but you would never know it by the way she acts with her little girl. What I mean is that you might associate the idea of being spoiled with the attitude of "it's all about me". But, she puts her daughter first and her own needs last all the time. She sacrifices anything she can for that girl. And, it is PURE JOY for me to have the chance to be the Aunt (and I still suck in comparison).
It's bittersweet today. Katie has a birthday, and she has always apologetically loved to celebrate her own birthday. But, today is the first time she has to find a way to celebrate without her Mom. And that sucks.
I was thinking about it today. I have Timm to build me up. He knows me so well, so he is able to encourage me in a way others might not be able to. And, that was the role Katie's mom had in her life. And she did it so effortlessly. She knew Katie so well, so she knew just what to say and just how to encourage her when she needed it.
So, I am hoping this encourages KT a little bit on her birthday. A tribute to her role as "Aunt KT". A tribute to the gift she has been to me in my life. A tribute to her role as "Mom".
Happy Birthday Katie!

5 comments:

Just Aunt KT said...

OMG. I am SOBBING... that is too much. NO ONE has ever said such nice things about me. THANKS sista...your words make me feel like my Mom is sitting right here next to me and next to you telling you that "Katie needs that.." right now. :) I love you so much. Thanks for being such an amzing sister to me and for putting me on a pedestal I don't deserve!! (I forgot about that day at your house with Alli, but it brought back the memory! I did say that and I MEANT it! Too bad she won't let me hold her all day long anymore....) LUV!

Anonymous said...

Ok, now that was beautiful. I'm laying in bed reading it on my cell phone and I'm sobbing! Katie has been and always will be a blessing in my life. Thank you for writing so eloquently. You have a wonderful talent. Katie, happy birthday girl...I love you so much!
Stacy

Nada said...

Beautifully said Char.. KT is an amazing woman.. her family is her life and and the light that keeps her going! Well Done!

Morgan's Mom said...

pass a tissue please...you are an amazing Mom "Aunt KT" and you have your Mom to thank for that. They say great people are built by other great people. Your little girls are so lucky.
So blessed to have all you great women in my life.
Char what an awesome way to say Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

W O W Love you Char.... Liz