About Me

I'm not really a superstar, except maybe to my husband, who I happen to be deeply in love with. My life: following Jesus, learning to live and love like Him. He is in the driver's seat, and I am on an adventure.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

word

God's word is described in many ways. Like a sword, or a light, or as a tool to train and rebuke. And, just as Chris taught us at church on Sunday, God's word is ALIVE. It is powerful. It can actually do things! It is not merely words on paper.
Do you believe that?
I do.
Last night I was laying in bed with an upset stomach. I wasn't sure how much of it had to do with what I ate and how much was nervousness and anxiety. I can not recall having that kind of stomach ache from anxiety in a long time. But, it had that familiar feel. So, I tried to talk to Timm about my feelings, and I couldn't even articulate what was going on in my head and heart.
So I stopped.
Then, I remembered God's word. A particular verse came shooting into my consciousness. Matthew 6:34 "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself! Each day has enough trouble of it's own."
I literally sighed out loud and said "Ahhh, that's better!" My stomach ache almost vanished instantly. I realized that I was laying there trying to imagine many different outcomes to the future, and it was making me sick with worry.
So I told Timm the verse and I said "I don't have to do this do I?"
He said, "Do What?"
"Worry about tomorrow....and the day after that...and the year after that. It's OK for me to just be IN this day and handle THIS day."
So, then another verse came to mind to reinforce my newly found peace.
Lamentations 3:22-23
22Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed
for his compassions never fail
23 they are new every morning.
Great is your faithfulness Lord, you are good.
God's grace is sufficient for TODAY. His mercies are new each morning. If I choose to look into the future with doubt, worry, and fear, I am on my own. But, can I handle THIS day? Yes, that is promised in God's living word. How do I know it is alive? It has the ability to CHANGE me! It's incredible!
Am I going to have hardships? Will I suffer? Will I have pain and heartache? Yes, that is also promised in God's word. I am not promised an easy life with no obstacles and hard times. I am promised grace sufficient for TODAY. And, I'll take it!

1 comment:

T$ said...

Thank you so much for reinforcing this for all of us. Much love for following Him.